Permissions & Rights assigned to various Admin User LevelsEstimated Reading Time: 5 Minutes
PHPKB knowledge base software has the following admin user levels. These user accounts can login to the admin area of PHPKB software to add/edit/manage content in the knowledge base.
- Superuser: It is the ultimate administrator that has access to everything in the admin area as well as the front-end area. This account type has no restrictions of any kind.
- Editor: This is the second level of admin users. This account type can create articles that are auto-approved, edit articles (created by self and other users), approve pending articles (created by writers), create/manage categories, create/manage comments, create/manage glossary terms. This account type cannot access the “Users Management”, “Statistics/Reports” and “Tools” sections of the admin area.
- Writer: This is the third level of admin users. This account type can create articles (that are marked as pending for approval by either an Editor or a Superuser), make edits to his own articles, attach files to articles. This account type has no other rights.
- Trusted Writer: This is the fourth level of admin users. This account type has the same privileges as that of a normal writer. However, the articles created by a ’Trusted Writer’ does not need approval for publishing.
- Translator: This level is only available in Multi-Language versions of PHPKB knowledge base software. This account type can only translate the contents of the language file(s) assigned to him. He cannot access any other sections in the admin area.
All the above-listed admin user account types can also login to the front-end area using the same account credentials.
For Front-end Section (Public Area), we have 2 types of users:
- Guest Users: They do not need any account to access the knowledge base. They are like normal visitors to a website. They can only access the content of public categories.
- KB Members: They are special users (e.g. employees, partners, customers) that require to log in with a username and password. Their accounts can be set up in the “Users” section of the admin area by a superuser. These users need to be members of a user group to access the content under private categories that are assigned to their user group. They can add articles to their favourites list and can manage their profile in the front-end area.
Please refer to the chart below to see the permissions assigned to each admin-user level in PHPKB Knowledge Base Software.
|Add New Category|
|Create Private Categories|
|Add New Article|
|Manage Own Articles (Created by Self)|
|Manage Articles (Created by Other Users)|
|Create Article Drafts|
|Approve (Publish) Articles|
|Mark Articles as Featured|
|Reset Article Ratings|
|Article Collaboration (Idea/Opinion Sharing)|
|Access Article Versions|
|Revert An Article to Previous Version|
|Empty Trash/Purge Articles|
|Restore Deleted Articles|
|Manage Autosaved Drafts (All)|
|Manage Autosaved Drafts (Own)|
|Manage KB Subscribers|
|Manage Category Subscribers|
|Manage Article Subscribers|
|Create Custom Fields|
|Manage Custom Fields|
|Can Post Custom Field Values?|
|Access Open Support Tickets|
|Reply to Support Tickets|
|Close Resolved Support Tickets|
|Publish Resolved Ticket as New Article|
|Add File Attachments|
|Manage File Attachments|
|News & Announcements|
|Create News & Announcements|
|Manage News & Announcements|
|Create Glossary Terms|
|Manage Glossary Terms|
|Create Languages *|
|Manage Languages *|
|Users and Groups|
|Create User Accounts|
|Manage User Accounts|
|Create User Groups|
|Manage User Groups|
|Assign Categories to Groups|
|AssignUsers to Groups|
|Create Folders (Private and Public)|
|Add API Key|
|Manage API Keys|
|Manage API Log|
|View Knowledge Base Statistics|
|Export Knowledge Base Statistics|
|Print Knowledge Base Statistics|
|Manage Event Log|
|Manage Knowledge Base Configuration Settings|
|Take Database Backup|
|Import Article Data from CSV File|
|Import Article Data from HTML Documents|
* for multi-language (ML) editions only.
Note: Apart from the user levels mentioned above, there is an additional user-level called ’ Translator ’ and it is available only in the multi-language editions of PHPKB knowledge base software. This user level is for the assignment of the language-translation job. So, it has no rights in the admin control panel except to translate the language files assigned to him/her.